MAGIC (Multitype Automation Group In Cooperation) is a consortium of
libraries using a shared library automation system. MAGIC members include public, school, special, and academic libraries.
MAGIC membership brings the following benefits:
- Greater access for your library users to a more diverse, multicultural collection of resources than a single library could provide
- Greater awareness of your organization within local communities
- Automatic routing of interlibrary loan requests among the MAGIC libraries
- Personalized technical support from MAGIC's support staff
- Cooperative problem-solving and assistance from peers among the MAGIC member libraries
- Lower costs and less staff time for cataloging due to nearly 500,000 MARC records in the MAGIC database, monthly authority processing, and quarterly batchloading of holdings to OCLC
- An overall reduction in automation costs because expenses are shared by all members of the group and because of cooperative purchasing
- On-going training
- As a Local Library System Automation Program (LLSAP), grant funds are sometimes available to assist libraries with retrospective conversion costs and other initial costs of joining MAGIC
For information on how your library can become a MAGIC member, please contact
Jane Plass (firstname.lastname@example.org
or 630/232-8457 x204).
For assistance using MAGIC's library automation system, please contact the MAGIC library at which you are registered.